Thursday, May 20, 2010

FESS Sinus surgery for polyps - Post Op Nightmare

The moment I awoke from anesthesia I had a feeling something was wrong. After my first surgery which lasted about 45 minutes, my nose and sinuses felt a bit of stinging but there was no pain. However, I was breathing clearly without any problem.

This was different. As I woke up to the nurses calling my name, I immediately realized that I couldn't breathe through my nose. At all.

"Hmmm....that's odd", I remember thinking. Why was I so incredibly congested when I should be breathing freely?? And then it hit me. In my still foggy, hazy state of mind I realized (with no small amount of horror) that the doctor had to pack my sinuses. Something I never had done, even after my first reconstructive surgery to repair my septum and certainly not after my first polypectomy.

AAACCKKK!!!! Aaah well, what are you going to do huh?

My wife walked in, tears in her eyes because she knew how much I was praying this wouldn't happen and said, "Honey, I'm so sorry. He had to pack your sinuses". She was very upset for me.

Why in God's name did her have to do it?
Well, for starters, even though we knew my entire sinus cavity....all of them...were filled with polyps, crud and what not, what nobody knew was how difficult it would be for my doctor to remove them. So difficult that my 45 - 60 minute procedure took over an hour and half. And rendered the doctors surgical tool unusable in the process.

Next up!
Polyps made of "leather", teflon nasal tampons and my 3 day follow up

1 comment:

Arhyarion said...

Mike, I have been anosmic for almost a year now, following a cold. I was diagnosed with nasal polyps. I do occasionally get some olfaction, so I know the nerve is working - but the range of scents I can detect is, I'd say, 5-10% of my pre-polyp days.

I know surgery is an option, and I stumbled across your blog when looking for information about nasal polyp surgery. I'm contemplating whether I should have it done. Cooking is a hobby of mine, and to be robbed of my sense of smell makes the pursuit of this hobby virtually pointless.

Since you haven't updated your blog since last year, I am curious to know how much, if any, olfaction you have regained.

Regards,
Ben